- 1small whole chicken, cut into portions
- 1large tomatoes, chopped
- 3 -4stalks scallions, chopped
- 1large onion, chopped
- 2garlic cloves, chopped
- 1hot pepper, chopped (scotch bonnet)
- 1medium carrot, chopped finely
- 1limes or 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 3 -4sprigs fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1teaspoon pimiento or 1 teaspoon allspice, cracked
- 2tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2tablespoon flour or 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1tablespoon coconut oil
Squeeze lime over chicken and rub well. Drain off excess lime juice.
Combine tomato, scallion, onion, garlic, pepper, thyme, pimento and soy sauce in a large bowl with the chicken pieces. Cover and marinate at least one hour.
Heat oil in a dutch pot or large saucepan. Shake off the seasonings as you remove each piece of chicken from the marinade. Reserve the marinade for sauce.
Lightly brown the chicken a few pieces at a time in very hot oil. Place browned chicken pieces on a plate to rest while you brown the remaining pieces.
Drain off excess oil and return the chicken to the pan. Pour the marinade over the chicken and add the carrots. Stir and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
Mix flour and coconut milk and add to stew, stirring constantly. Turn heat down to minimum and cook another 20 minutes or until tender.